Kids in 5th – 8th grades are invited to participate in the “Parks Make Life Better ” Video Contest showing positive camping or park experiences at any one of San Diego County Parks and Recreation facilities. Let the creative juices flow and test the skills of imagination amongst your fellow film makers for a chance to win $1,000!
A video competition that will connect real-life, positive camping or park experiences that depicts kids and their families and friends partaking in an outdoor activity at any one of San Diego County Parks and Recreation Facilities. As a class project, this competition is aligned with the state of California education academic standards for English Language Arts. The content standards are designed to encourage the highest achievement of every student will encouraging outdoor activity. It's a win win!
Project will cease accepting video submittals on February 28, 2014. Winners from each bracket will be announced by April, 2014. Winners will be notified via phone or e-mail, and announcements will be posted on the County Parks website and/or social media feeds.
The theme of this competition is “Parks Make Life Better.” The video should depict an experience youth have had with his/her friends, classmates, or family while enjoying a park (i.e. camping, hiking, mountain biking, recreation class, playground, nature talk, etc.). The theme reinforces the need for youth to get outside, be active and healthy, and experience all that nature has to offer. Some examples include open spaces to run and play, active recreation classes, opportunities for organized sports, trails for hiking in nature, or environmental preservation with a volunteer project, just to name a few. Other examples could be a combination of various videos put together showing how the parks system have made lives better for kids.
VIDEO CATEGORY IDEAS
The ideas listed below are meant as brainstorming ideas for filming. Please note that no participant is restricted to what’s listed below. Workable options could include parents, and volunteers taking small groups of children to a parks site. Video clips could be edited together and developed in for participation.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends raising awareness about an environmental issue such as recycling, water clarity, or trash and debris collection that would benefit our County Parks and facilities.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends talking about San Diego’s habitat and why it’s important to preserve our natural resources.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends discussing wildlife and how we can ensure that species thrive at our County Parks and Preserves.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends utilizing County park trails by hiking, biking, or riding horses.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends taking a camping trip.
- Youth with classmates, family, or friends exercising at any county park or facility.
Bracket #1: Elementary School Age Bracket (5th- 6th Grade)
Bracket #2: Middle School or Junior High School Age Bracket (7th - 8th Grade)
One Grand Prize winner will be chosen from each age bracket, and one second place winner will be chosen from each age bracket.
Finalists will be chosen for creativity and approach, focusing specifically on how the video portrays the county facility, and how county parks make life better.
To enter, parents or teachers will need to post the completed video on You Tube and submit the link for consideration through the ENTRY FORM link below.
The first round judging will be done by a panel assembled by San Diego County staff to determine the top (3) in each age bracket. Once those top (3) have been determined, each video will be uploaded to
the County of San Diego Parks and Recreation Facebook page for the general public to view and judge.
The public can vote from March 10 – March 17, 2014 by “liking” the video of their choice on our Facebook page. The video that has the most likes during the voting period will be crowned the winner for
each age bracket. Winners are expected to be announced by April, 2014.
If there is a tie in any bracket, the winner will be determined using a panel of San Diego County staff.
FIRST PLACE WINNERS CIRCLE:
The first place winner in each age bracket will receive the following:
- $1000 cash prize donated by the San Diego County Parks Society with $500 going to the youth that made the video, and $500 going to their class for educational supplies or class equipment;
- The winners will receive two free nights of group camping at a County of San Diego campground;
- Video will be featured on the County online and television mediums such as the County Television Network, You Tube, County News Center, Facebook, Twitter, and the winning class will be featured in all County media and public relations materials;
- Video may be shown at the annual Movies in the Park series.
SECOND PLACE WINNERS CIRCLE:
The second place winner will receive the following:
- $500 cash prize donated by the San Diego County Parks Society with $250 going to youth that made the video, and $250 going to their class for educational supplies or class equipment;
- Each student will receive a County Parks and Recreation water bottle.