Borrowing, Renewing &
Returning Library Materials
How many items may I check out?
- Verified accounts: not limited
- Unverified accounts: limited to 5 items at a time
Certain types of items, such as Hot.Right.Now. books and DVDs, have check-out limits but they are clearly marked.
How long may I keep library materials and how much are late fees?
|Material Type||Checkout Length
Fee Per Item
|Adult & Young Adult Books||21 days; 50 renewals||25 cents||$10.00|
|Children's Books||21 days; 50 renewals||10 cents||$10.00|
|Movies||7 days; 20 renewals||$1.00||$10.00|
|Music CDs & Video Games||7 days; 50 renewals||25 cents||$10.00|
|Magazines||7 days; 50 renewals||n/a||n/a|
|Circuit & Link+||21 days; 1 renewal||$1.00||No maximum|
|Interlibrary Loan (ILL)||21 days; no renewals||50 cents||$25.00|
Always check your receipt for due dates. Renew materials online or by calling (858) 514-4765.
*Certain types of items, such as Hot.Right.Now. books and DVDs, may have different check-out periods, but they are clearly marked.
**Note: items may not be renewed if the item is "on reserve" for another customer.
Borrowing privileges will be suspended if an account has fines or fees in excess of $10.00.
Lost items or items that are damaged beyond repair: $5 processing fee(non-refundable) plus price of the item
Returned check fee: $25 per returned check
Community room usage fee: $50 for each two hour period (fee waived if proof of 501(c)3 provided)
Collection Agency Fee: $10 per referral
How may I pay a library fine or fee?
Library fines in excess of $10.00 may be paid online through your library account.
Fines and fees may also be paid at your local branch or by mailing a check made out to San Diego County Library to the following address:
San Diego County Library
Attn: Circulation Services
5560 Overland Avenue, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92123
What if the item I want isn't available?
How do I renew materials online?
Renewing library materials can be done in two ways:
- From the home page of the San Diego County Library website: click on the "Renew/Request" link (located under the Library Catalog Search box in the upper-right corner). Then, log in on the "My Library Account" page. Once you've logged in, click on the "Checked-Out Items" button to view the items you currently have checked out.
- From within the online library catalog: click on the "My Library Account" link. Once you've logged in, click on the "Checked-Out Items" button to view the items you currently have checked-out.
- When typing in your library account number (i.e. barcode), the "0" in the number needs to be included. Also, there should be no spaces between the numbers.
- Once you have logged in to your account, click on the "Checked-Out Items" button. This will display the items you currently have checked out.
How do I renew materials over the phone?
Library materials may be renewed over the phone by calling (858) 514-4765.
Where may I return my library materials?
Items may be returned to any San Diego County Library branch. Book drops are available for after hour returns.